BBQ Baked Beans
These BBQ Baked Beans are an easy one-pot meal for cookouts, camping or just on a cloudy day. Almost all of the ingredients are usually in the fridge or pantry, so it makes a quick side dish that you can easily omit or replace missing ingredients. For example, just add whatever ham you have, or swap the garlic clove for 2 tsp of garlic powder.
Warning: These are wet, messy and addictive! They are best served on a sectioned plate, or in a small bowl.
You could probably put whatever you want in it, and it will be great: ham, bacon, red pepper, jalapeño… See the add-in suggestions below, too.
It is so good, in fact, we ate it right away and I forgot to take a picture (oops).
But, there are leftovers, so I’ll come back here and update soon!
Gluten-free and high in fiber, you can reduce the fat, cholesterol and sodium by eliminating or reducing the amount of leftover ham. Another healthy improvement would be to reduce the amount of bacon to just 2-3 slices of thick cut or 4 slices of classic cut for about 4 oz instead of 8.
Cooking Tip: the longer you simmer these, the better the flavors blend together.
You can even cook this up in a slow cooker, on low for 8 hours.
Add-ins: for a little extra spicy kick, try adding 1 tsp of crushed red pepper or a diced Serrano pepper for a bigger spice kick.
BBQ Baked Beans
- 1 16-oz can of Baked Beans
- 1 16-oz can of Light Red Kidney Beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 16-oz can of Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ lb Bacon, cooked, chopped
- 2 c leftover Ham, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 c brown sugar optional
- ½ c BBQ Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot; mix well
- Heat on Medium heat, covered. Simmer for at least one hour (the longer, the better); stir frequently.
- Remove from heat when vegetables are soft.
1 thought on “BBQ Baked Beans”