Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Have you ever had a fast-casual side dish that was just so delicious you wish you could eat it all the time? I absolutely love Cousins’s Subs Broccoli Cheddar soup. Here is my attempt at fast food at home copycat Broccoli Cheese Soup. There is no ingredient list offered by Cousin’s, so I start by looking at a copycat recipe for Panera Bread, since it is also a fast food soup, it must be very similar.
The one big difference and the reason I love Cousin’s soup, and not Panera, is that I swear there are Cauliflower bits in there. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure Panera is delicious, I just like Cousin’s better. At any rate, this turned out fabulous.
Cooking tip: If your soup turns out too thick, add extra chicken broth. If it turns out runny, add 1 T corn starch.
Love Cheese? Add 1/2 shredded mild Cheddar Cheese or sprinkle on top.
Serve in a sourdough bread bowl:
- buy 2 round loaves of sourdough,
- scoop out the innards and place the lid, innards and the bowls upside down on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes to form a crust inside the bowl.
The innards can be saved to make croutons or breadcrumbs, or use them to dip in your soup or top it off.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 T Butter
- ½ medium Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ¼ c Butter, melted
- ¼ c Flour
- 2 c Milk
- 2 c Chicken Base or Broth
- 1 Cauliflower head, chopped
- 1 ½ c Broccoli florets
- 1 c Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Celery stalk, sliced
- 2 ½ c sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 T Parsley
- ½ t Paprika
- 1 t Nutmeg
- 1 t Thyme
- 1 t Worchestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Melt 1 T butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sautee onion and garlic about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 c melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan ofer medium heat, cooking 3-4 minutes. Add 1-2 T of milk to keep flour from burning.
- Pour milk into flour mixture, gradually while whisking. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until it becomes a thick gravy texture, about 20 minutes. Add onion mixture, vegetables and seasonings. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir cheddar cheese into soup until the cheese melts. Add salt & pepper to taste.
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19.6g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 12.2g||61%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.3g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||9%|
|Total Sugars 5.9g|
|Vitamin D 9mcg||43%|