I’ve been making this quick & easy chicken casserole for decades. Sometimes I switch up the ingredients a bit, like using frozen veggies instead of fresh, Normandy mix instead of just broccoli, or a different soup base.
First, you gather your ingredients and prep accordingly:
- Cook the Rice
- Cook the Chicken
- Steam the Veggies
- Salt, Pepper, Condensed Soup & Milk (for the Rice mix)
- Shred the Cheese
- Paprika (for topping)
Don’t forget to add the milk to the soup; the rice gets dry if you don’t add enough, or you can add extra sour cream or another can of soup for a creamier casserole.
I love my Zojirushi rice cooker.
I used to have a Hitachi. Actually, I still do. It’s a “Chime-O-Matic” and I don’t know what decade it is from, but hubby thought I could use a new one, so I picked Zojirushi.
Try it with cream of chicken soup, or cream of celery, or make it a bit healthier using chicken broth and flour.
Today, I’m using fresh steamed broccoli, cream of mushroom soup & Co-Jack from Oberweis. We love the weekly dairy delivery, and they have fresh new food options regularly.
Mix your rice mixture, diced chicken and veggies and pour it into a baking dish. You can add extra cheese into the mix, too – I just like my cheese on top.
Bake at 350 for 35 – 40 minutes. Remember, everything is already cooked and your goal is to combine it and heat it up, melting the cheese topping.
Instead of paprika, try it with garlic powder (but not on top).
You can try it with a classic casserole topping like ritz crackers & butter, or make it pretty with a bit of fresh parsley.
Serve it up and enjoy!
A buttery dinner roll or crescent roll goes good on the side, too.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c milk
- 1 broccoli crown
- 2 c rice (uncooked)
- 1 c cheddar-jack cheese
- ½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- ½ t paprika
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook the rice accordingly (I like to use my Zojirushi rice cooker – the steamed rice comes out ultra fluffy and perfect).
- Cook the chicken in a covered baking dish for 30-35 minutes. Once the chicken is done, set it aside to let it cool, leaving the oven on.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces. Lightly steam the fresh broccoli or frozen vegetables for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the soup with milk, salt & pepper. Fold in half of the cooked rice.
- Dice the chicken into 1" chunks and fold into the mixing bowl. Add the remaining rice and vegetables and mix well.
- Lightly grease a 9×12 baking dish and pour the casserole mix in. Top with shredded cheese and paprika. Bake for 30 minutes.