Easy Party Pinwheels
These are such a yummy snack or appetizer for any time, but these pinwheels are great for kids, and grown ups, too.
You can double the recipe for more people, but I usually eat only about 10 (or the equivalent of one burrito size tortilla shell).
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- salsa (inside or on the side)
- green onion
- garlic powder
- seasoned salt
- tortilla shells
I ran out of burrito-sized tortilla shells today, so I used my bulk of Fajita shells for smaller roll-ups.
For the larger shells, I didn’t spread it all the way to the edge because when you roll up the pinwheel, some of it will push, completing the spread.
These tortilla roll-ups are super fun to make with the kids! (Pinwheels always are – just make sure you do the slicing with a serrated knife.)
Using Fajita shells instead of burrito shells makes a slightly smaller pinwheel, but they turned out just fine.
Refrigerate overnight, then slice and serve. You’ll have “end pieces”, which will have less cream cheese filling, but you can dip them in salsa and they’re just great! Like little taquitos, but with cheese and not deep fried.
This recipe is based on a Taste of Home appetizer, modified for simplicity and servings.
- add diced black olives
- leave the salsa on the side for dipping
- use diced red bell pepper & celery instead of green onions and salsa
- try ranch dressing mix instead of garlic powder & seasoned salt
- chives often make better flavor than green onions, though they cost a little more
- add sun-dried tomatoes
Other recipes for pinwheels call for shorter cooling time because their tortilla gets soggy – I did not have any issues. I use Mission tortilla shells, or La Banderita burrito shells.
Make sure your salsa is chunky. I think this helps minimize moisture.
The sour cream brand doesn’t really matter, just make sure you don’t get something on discount or fat-free (they tend to be runny). You want it thick and rich.
Easy Party Pinwheels
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ c sour cream
- ¼ c chunky salsa
- ½ c green onions, chopped
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t seasoned salt
- 3 flour tortilla shells, 10"
- Blend cream cheese, cheddar cheese and sour cream. Add salsa, green onions and seasoning to your taste. Mix well to combine.
- Spread across tortilla to the edge & roll the tortilla tight. wrap in plastic wrap, twisting ends to seal. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and slice into ¾" slices. Serve immediately.
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 27.9g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||85%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22.9g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|
|Total Sugars 1.7g|
|Vitamin D 3mcg||17%|