Egg Salad Sandwich
I had never made egg salad before, because it is so high in cholesterol & sodium, and I always thought it’s just not good for you. But why was it so popular, then? Because it’s bad for you but delicious?
Never fear, the dietary cholesterol from hard-boiled eggs has “very little effect” on blood cholesterol, and might actually improve HDL cholesterol.
Regardless, I’ve tried to reduce the overall cholesterol by reducing the amount of mayo, and removing two egg yolks. Eating it on whole grain bread delivers soluble fiber improves cardiovascular health. Our favorite bread is “Health Nut”, which contains nuts that help reduce LDL cholesterol.
This was a special husband request, so I set to it and got his review. He suggested that my use of Dijon mustard might be less tasty than yellow mustard. So, choose your mustard to your liking
Egg Salad Sandwich
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ c Hellmann's Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil
- ½ T dill weed
- 2 T green onion
- ¼ c celery
- 2 T mustard
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
How to Boil Eggs
- Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan and fill with cold water, just to cover the eggs.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil (8 – 12 minutes), cover and remove from the burner. Let them rest with the lid on about 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and allow them to cool.
- From here, you can refrigerate them overnight, or allow them to become cold in the refrigerator. They will be ready to peel in about 4 hours.
How to Make Egg Salad
- Peel your eggs, halve them, separating egg yolks and whites. Toss two of the egg yolks (or give them to the dog).
- Mash & whip the egg yolks with mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Dice the egg whites, celery and onion and add them to the egg yolk mix. Fold the dill in and serve on whole grain bread. Garnish with a dash of paprika and lettuce.